Saturday, August 7, 2010

Television

My daughter tells me that I am a competition show nut. That is not exactly the words she uses, but you get the idea. I do watch a few television shows that last for weeks on end and do end up with a winner. I do mark the tv guide so I will be sure to not miss my favorites. I do have to write some of them in the margins, because they are not listed in the tv guide that I receive in the newspaper. So, I guess I might be a little hooked on watching competition shows.

My favorites are Food Network Star and Design Star. I watch American Idol and can send at least 150 votes in less than an hour before my thumb and arm go numb. I enjoyed Nashville Star when it was on and even made a trip to Tunica, Mississippi to see the winner's tour a few years ago. Angela and her brother Zac Hacker were so nice and gave a great performance. The Nashville Star show did not have the promotion team, like American Idol does, and most of the winners were never heard from again. Sad. You can buy the Hacker's music online.

I also watch Top Chef, Work of Art, America's Got Talent, Project Runway, Next Top Model, Cupcake Wars, Ultimate Cake Off, 24 Hour Restaurant Battle, Chopped and Iron Chef. The shows that allow an unreasonably small amount of time to cook make me crazy. Even the judges could not do what they are asking! In my opinion the judges are rude on some of these shows. They could critique the food without being jerks.

Then there is the competition show Four Weddings. Just the name makes me shutter, because that is how many I've had! But, on the show these four couples are trying to win a super honeymoon. The brides attend each others weddings and then give a score on how they thought the other weddings turned out. They can be really tacky. It is a pretty crazy show with lots of money being wasted.

I enjoy some of the reality shows like the Bachelor and Bachelorette, Kate Plus 8, 19 Kids and Counting, Holly's World, Kendra and LA Ink. Hate the Wife Swap show. My new favorite is Bethanny Getting Married?. She is approaching 40 has a crazy career making wads of money, finds the love of her life, plans a beautiful wedding, goes on her honeymoon, and has her daughter Bryn five weeks early. WHEW! Bethanny makes me tired she does so many things. I think the thing that I love about her is she just tells it like it is and turns lemons into lemonade. 

These are not the only type of shows I watch...I would not dream of missing a new Lifetime TV movie! My very favorite show of all time Saving Grace starring Holly Hunter just ended this season. Yes, I cried at the explosive end! It was a story based in Oklahoma City and followed the life of a OKC police detective that had a guardian angel. My friend Pam sent me the DVD of the first season. I just need to get the entire set of DVD's of the show.

Regular shows included in my tv viewing are The Closer, HawthoRNe, The Good Wife, Drop Dead Diva and Army Wives. All of these shows have a common thread of strong women and challenges they face in their daily lives. Fiction of course, but the shows all have good writers and strong actresses in the roles.

The new Betty White show Hot in Cleveland is so much like the Golden Girls it is fun to watch. I watch design or landscape type shows as well. I like game shows, but rarely get to watch them because I am at work. Jeff Foxworthy's Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? show is not only funny, but I learn new facts everytime I watch it. Right away I learned that I am not smarter than a fifth grader!

Do you think our television viewing is some type of indication about our personalities? What type of shows do you watch on a regular basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment