Saturday, April 20, 2013

May Day Basket Tradition

A-tisket, a-tasket, May 1st is the day for a May basket...
 
I have no clue why May Day Baskets popped into my head, but I remember as a small child we would make May Day Baskets and deliver them to peoples homes. I can't remember if this was an activity I learned in Girl Scout Brownies or at school or just where, but I do remember doing it. I remember how much fun it was and I am pretty sure we made the baskets out of construction paper and made construction paper flowers?? How crazy is that having such an old memory in my thoughts. I ask my husband if he had ever heard of it and of course he just thought I was a little crazy as usual. But, it really was a fun activity of my childhood.
 
 
May Day festivities vary by country, but they generally are a celebration of spring.
 
One special tradition in the United States is the sharing of May baskets on the first of May. That rite can be traced to the early European settlers in America. Their baskets were handmade and filled with spring flowers or treats and left on a neighbor's doorstep.
 
 
Baskets, usually made by children, are often homemade and filled with flowers or treats. They are left anonymously at someones doorstep or hooked over the handle or knob.
The basket giver rings the bell and runs away. The person receiving the basket tries to catch the fleeing giver. If caught, tradition said a kiss was to be exchanged.
 
You can participate in this activity yourself by making a special May Day basket or by using any small basket and filling it with flowers or other treats to give to a friend.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment