Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mustard

I love mustard! My favorite is Jalapeno Mustard and I also love Spicy Brown Mustard, but nothing beats plain ole prepared mustard on a hot dog. I use mustard in potato salad, meatloaf, salmon patties, and a long list of other things. I typed in MUSTARD to seek the creation of this tasty yellow colored staple and surprise....I found info about the NATIONAL MUSTARD MUSEUM...who knew there was a National Mustard Museum...I am sharing the info below.


Home to the World’s Largest Collection of Mustards and Mustard Memorabilia

A mustard museum? ABSOLUTELY! According to Barry Levenson, founder & curator of the National Mustard Museum, you can blame it all on the Boston Red Sox. In the wee hours of October 28, 1986, after his favorite baseball team had just lost the World Series, Barry was wandering an all-night supermarket looking for the meaning of life. As he passed the mustards, he heard a voice: If you collect us, they will come.

He did and they have. In 1992, Barry left his job as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Wisconsin to open this most improbable museum, now one of Wisconsin’s most popular attractions. The Mustard Museum has been featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show, the popular game show To Tell the Truth, as well as countless features on other national television and radio shows, and in major newspapers everywhere.

So, why all the fuss? Well, with more than 5,300 mustards from all 50 states and more than 60 countries, our collection of Mustard History is a sight to behold. From the exquisite Gibbons Collection of mustard pots to antique tins & jars and vintage advertisements, the National Mustard Museum is truly a shining temple to the “King of Condiments”.

Located on Hubbard Avenue in the heart of downtown Middleton, Wisconsin, the National Mustard Museum is open from 10 am to 5 pm, seven days a week — except New Years, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Of course, the online store never sleeps.

Middleton neighbors Madison to the west, is only a 45-minute drive from Wisconsin Dells, just 2-1/2 hours from Chicago, and a mere 6,978 kilometers from Dijon, France.



WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MUSTARD?
Leave a comment and let us know if there is a flavor we are missing.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know they made jalenpeno mustard! Gotta find some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll eat yellow mustard, but it's honestly my least favorite. I prefer dijon, brown, or a spicier mustard like jalapeno or habanero. You have great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a guy who made a sweet hot mustard with plain yellow mustard as the base, then making a puree of banana peppers and a bit of scotch bonnet peppers then whipping it all together. This was fantastic on hot link or sausage.

    I use dry mustard on all meats before roasting or grilling. The harshness of the mustard mellows out and the taste is wonderful. If I forget the dry mustard, everyone notices something different. I also use it in stews. Just sprinkle very liberally onto raw meats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in Middleton where the mustard museum is! It was down the street from one of my favorite restaurants. :) I'm not a big fan of mustard, but it was still cool to have that in our town!

    ReplyDelete