Monday, August 16, 2010

Jeans Quilt

In my quest to recycle blue jeans I made a king size quilt for my granddaughter. When she was very young her jeans all had to be cut off and hemmed. I saved all the pieces we cut off! When I got ready to make her a quilt I took all the cut off pieces, plus several pair of her favorite out grown jeans. (Do not start this project until you have heavy duty denim sewing needle in your machine.) 

First I took a sturdy piece of cardboard and made a square the size I wanted the quilt blocks to be plus the seam allowance. I cut quilt blocks for what seemed like forever. Then I would sew nine blocks together to make a big square.

I also took four big pieces of denim, the same size as the nine blocks together, and embroidered on them to personalize the quilt. I put her initals with a heart around them, the year under a little saying I always tell her and 'Poppy's Angel' on another block. I cut some characters off her old shorts and included them too.

As you can see in the photo below the quilt included dark denim, light denim, black denim, red denim, striped denim and painted on denim to make for a colorful denim quilt. It is extremely heavy, but super warm. It is certainly a one-of-a-kind quilt made for a one-of-a-kind granddaughter! It recycled a lot of denim into a keepsake that she will have for the rest of her life.  

2 comments:

  1. This is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim. I will show another king size quilt I made for my daughter out of her old band uniforms in a future blog.

    ReplyDelete