Monday, October 11, 2010

SWOSU

Southwestern Oklahoma State University will celebrate homecoming this week. Daylong activities will be held on Saturday, with a parade down Main street and end with the Bulldogs football game. Western Oklahoma is proud to have SWOSU, one of the leading pharmacy schools in the nation. SWOSU also produces some of Oklahoma's outstanding teachers, nurses and other professionals with SWOSU degrees. Students come to Western Oklahoma from all around the world to study at SWOSU.

2010 marked the 100th year for the Old Science Building on the university campus. The oldest building remaining on the campus, has also been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Old Science Building, located on top of the "hill", has Grecian style columns that distinguish the three story structure. It is also a safe haven for the community, when the tornado sirens are sounded, people gather in the basement.

The clock tower is a more recent addition to the campus. The university officials decided to build it on the street between the Student Union and the Al Harris Library. In order to do this, they had to take out several parking spaces on both sides of the street. I still do not think the clock tower was more important than parking, but here is a photo of the finished project. 
This is one of the blocks below the clock tower area. My husband and daughter both proudly graduated from SWOSU and their block is on the Al Harris Library (west) side of the tower.
This bronze statute is of Duke the SWOSU mascot. For as long as anyone I know can remember the SWOSU mascot was Brandy the Bulldog. Now Brandy has turned into Duke. So, I guess SWOSU has a transgender mascot?

This is my favorite building on the SWOSU campus. My husband told me it use to be a chapel. But, I just think it is neat with the wood shingle roof and rock exterior. It just looks so neat being surrounded by all the more modern structures on the SWOSU campus.

1 comment:

  1. I think I should have a brick. Left a bit of skin as I fell across the stage graduating from SWOSU. Love the pictures - makes me homesick.

    ReplyDelete