Saturday, November 3, 2012

Forward Not Back

This political cartoon I found last week is more fact than fiction. Romney will turn Women's Rights back in time! I remembered back when Loretta Lynn came out with the song "The Pill" and how shocked people were that she was singing such a song. Even her record label held on to the song for a few years before they were brave enough to release the feisty tune. Do we want to go backward 40 or more years in the Women's Rights Movement? NO!
President Obama believes in women's rights and Romney does not! President Obama believes that women should have control of their bodies and their futures. Romney does not!
Remember that when you cast your vote in the election on Tuesday.
 
"The Pill" is a 1975 country music song recorded in 1972 by Loretta Lynn, but held back by her label. It is one of her best known songs as well as the most controversial record of her career.

You wined me and dined me when I was your girl
Promised if I`d be your wife you`d show me the world
But all I`ve seen of this old world is a bed and a doctor bill
I`m tearing down your brooder house `cause now I`ve got the pill

All these years I`ve stayed at home while you had all your fun
And every year that`s gone by another baby`s come
There`s gonna be some changes made right here on Nursery Hill
You`ve set this chicken your last time `cause now I`ve got the pill

This old maternity dress I`ve got is going in the garbage
The clothes I`m wearing from now on won`t take up so much yardage
Miniskirts hotpants and a few little fancy frills
Yeah I`m making up for all those years since I`ve got the pill

I`m tired of all your crowing how you and your hens play
While holding a couple in my arms another`s on the way
This chicken`s done tore up her nest and I`m ready to make a deal
And you can`t afford to turn it down `cause you know I`ve got the pill

This incubator is overused because you`ve kept it filled
The feeling good comes easy now since I`ve got the pill
It`s getting dark it`s roosting time tonight`s too good to be real
Aw but Daddy don`t you worry none `cause Mama`s got the pill
Oh Daddy don`t you worry none `cause Mama`s got the pill

"The Pill", written by Lorene Allen, Don McHan, and T. D. Bayless, is a comic-tinged song about birth control. The song tells a story of a wife who is upset about her husband getting her pregnant year after year, but is now happy because she can control her own reproductive choices because she has "the pill" (which had been introduced in 1960). The song, like many of Lynn's other hits suggested her personal life (she'd had six children, two of whom were born before she had turned 19).

The song's frank discussion of birth control, something that was considered risqué subject matter at the time, especially in country music, led to a number of country radio stations refusing to play it. The song received much publicity and airplay on the stations that would air it but its ban from a number of radio stations caused the record to stall at number five on the charts at a time when a Loretta Lynn record was almost guaranteed to be a top three hit, often a number one record.

No comments:

Post a Comment