Monday, September 19, 2011

26 year old cookbook

I was so excited when my Mom gave me this 26 year old cookbook she found in a box of stuff she had purchased at an auction. The book Thirty Years at the Mansion is by the Arkansas Governor's Mansion cook Lisa Ashley who started at the Governor's Mansion in 1955.

It is more than just a cookbook it tells the stories of Governor Francis Cherry, 1953-1954, Governor Orval Faubus, 1955-1966, Governor Winthrop Rockefeller, 1967-1970, Governor Dale Bumpers, 1971-1974, Governor David Pryor, 1975-1978, Governor Bill Clinton 1979-1980, Governor Frank White, 1981-1982, and Governor Bill Clinton, 1983 until he became President Bill Clinton. It gives the different families favorite things to eat and thirty years of recipes for holidays and other special occasions. The cover shows the Clinton's who lived in the mansion at the time Mrs. Ashley wrote the book.
This next photo shows the First Lady Rosalynn Carter at the Arkansas Governor's Mansion in 1979 for a invitation only lawn party. One of my friends and I attended the lawn party, and got to meet the First Lady. There were hundreds of people there, and she went down the long  line speaking to everyone. It was a once in a lifetime event. We had to present our invitation to get in the gate. Secret Service was everywhere and watching those in attendance. 
These pages note that Governor Clinton's favorite Mexican dish was Chicken Enchiladas and that he loved lots of pies, but his absolute favorite was Lemon Chess Pie.
This page says that Governor Clinton's favorite meat was Beef Tenders and that it was served often at formal dinners. It is just beef tenders marinated in Wishbone Italian Salad dressing, sprinkled with coarse black pepper and cooked on the grill!
I have read this cookbook cover to cover and love all the stories that were so much a part of my growing up and young adulthood. It brought back wonderful memories like my Uncle Ralph arranging for me to get to attend a big youth day event  at Governor Winthrop Rockefeller's Winrock Farms up on Petit Jean Mountain. And the many years of chicken cookouts attended by Governor Bill Clinton in the Little Flock Park and big rallies at the County Fairgrounds. I was so thrilled my Mom found this book in her box of auction goodies! Thanks Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, look how young the Clintons look! I love cookbooks that tell stories too--there's so much more to eating and cooking than just the food itself!

    ReplyDelete