Thursday, December 23, 2010

Fried Fish & Hush Puppies

Fried fish is such a wonderful meal. Just serve with hush puppies and coleslaw. Years ago my boss would go fishing and bring me a mess of Perch fillets. His secret for having wonderful tasting fried fish was to soak the fish fillets in 7-UP for at least a half hour before cooking. I tried it and it works. The fish in these photos are Rainbow Trout caught by my Mom and cooked by my husband. He simply coats each piece in corn meal mix and fries in hot oil until golden brown. My husband's favorite is fried Catfish. My favorite is any kind that someone else has cooked.

HUSH PUPPIES

1 1/2 cups white or yellow corn meal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
vegetable oil for deep fat frying

Pour oil into deep fat fryer or 2-quart saucepan; heat to 375 degrees.
While oil is heating, combine corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
Add milk, egg and onion; mix well.
Drop by rounded teaspoonsfuls into deep, hot oil.
Fry only a few at a time until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Turn once with slotted spoon for best browning.
Remove from oil; drain on several layers of paper towels.

When I was young my Uncle Ralph and Aunt Flarence Ella would take me to the lake with them. They had a old school bus that my Uncle Ralph had converted into a super neat motor home. I can remember me and Uncle Ralph catching fish and Aunt Flarence Ella cooking them with hush puppies that very night for supper. There is something about the taste of fresh fish that just can't be compared to anything else. I can still smell and taste that beautiful memory.



No comments:

Post a Comment